Thursday, October 30, 2008

My Grandfather Died Today



I got some sad news that my last living grandparent died today. He was 105 and lived in Jerusalem. My grandfather was born in Salonika, Greece, in 1903 and immigrated to what is now Israel in 1913. (At that time the area was still ruled by the Ottoman Empire.) He was a tailor by trade and mended clothes well into his old age. He was deeply religious and prayed daily, even as a centenarian.

Since he lived overseas, I did not get a chance to see him very often, something I regret. He was always happy when we were able to visit, though. He was not able to be at my wedding, but I was able to bring my wife over to Israel to meet him. Unfortunately, my children will never get that chance.

Please say a prayer for Ovadiah ben Avraham v'Simha. May his memory be for a blessing.